1. As most people have realized, the thing to keep your eyes on during the 2012-2013 season is how much upside is shown by the past Cavalier lottery selections in Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters. While I think Irving will be an All-Star THIS YEAR, it's very unclear how much we will see from Waiters.
2. There are many more options I like this year at the wing positions compared to last year. While Daniel Gibson's defense is rated highly by Byron Scott I'd much rather see Waiters, C.J. Miles and Alonzo Gee get the bulk of the minutes on the wings with Kyrie Irving possibly even playing there occasionally when Donald Sloan or Gibson gets some minutes at the backup point guard spot.
3. I'd hope that players such as Omri Casspi, Kelenna Azubuike and Luke Walton have minimal roles on the team going forward. It's likely that Casspi will still get some burn but with the other two being fairly unreliable it's not looking good for their chances.
4. With a surplus of moderately talented young bigs such as Jon Leuer, Samardo Samuels, Tristan Thompson, Luke Harangody and Tyler Zeller the team really is desperate for a certain duo from that group to step up and claim big time minutes. It's not hard to figure out which two Scott hopes takes charge from the quintet.
5. While fans may be sick and tired of Luke Harangody I've got no strong opinions on him. He's a great D-League player and a bad NBA player. There is nothing more to it.
6. The Eastern Conference looks like it has some terrible teams (Toronto, Charlotte, Orlando, etc.) and the Cavaliers are absolutely not one of them from what I see. Of the teams who missed the playoffs last year in the East, Kyrie Irving is definitely the player most ready for stardom and able to dominate games better than anyone else. With his determination and skill it's hard to see the team going on 2-15 stretches or multiple long losing streaks.
7. I'm having a difficult time projecting the season ahead for Waiters than anybody else on the roster. Who really knows to expect from someone with limited playing time in college and underwhelming moments in Summer League? Plus, he wasn't even really hyped to be a Top-10 pick at all until the day of the selection.
Training Camp Dates
October 1 - Media Day
October 2 - First Practice
October 6 - Wine & Gold Scrimmage