Trade rumors have surfaced involving Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol. The Cleveland Cavaliers are clearly looking to move Bynum and the Lakers may be interested in saving some money. At first glance, both teams figure to be willing to make some sort of swap centered around the two big men, but let's go a little deeper. I caught up with Phillip Barnett from Lakers Nation to discuss some of the finer details about a potential trade.
You should follow Phillip Barnett on Twitter at @imsohideouss.
He hasn't been good this year and it seems like he's not particularly happy playing basketball anymore. The Cavs tried really hard to feature him on this team for the first part of the season, but once it was clear that it wasn't working, they decided to limit his role and get Anthony Bennett and Tyler Zeller some more time. The logical conclusion is that Bynum didn't appreciate that and started being a negative influence in the locker room. The Cavs are trying (and mostly failing) to create a positive culture in Cleveland and an sulking Bynum doesn't help that.
If he's still on the roster after January 7th, the Cavs owe Bynum another $6 million. So they are looking to trade him or at least make some sort of decision on him before that date.
And don't sleep on the possibility of the Cavs keeping Bynum past January 7th if they can't trade him before then. They'll just keep him in street clothes and pay him $6 million. He'll still be an expiring contract, so he might have trade value all the way up until the deadline.
- NBA Trade Rumors: Cleveland Cavaliers and Los Angeles Lakers discuss Andrew Bynum for Pau Gasol swap
- Recap: Cleveland Cavaliers fall short to the Golden State Warriors 108-104 in OT
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Golden State Warriors Preview: Darkest before the dawn
- Cleveland Cavaliers: Where do we go from here?
In This Stream
More From Fear The Sword
- Cavaliers ink Dean Wade to three-year extension
- Cavaliers season preview: Isaac Okoro, under scrutiny
- Cup of Cavs: Cleveland Cavaliers News and Links for Friday September 23
- Cavaliers season preview: Mobley will determine how good the Cavs can be
- Cup of Cavs: Cleveland Cavaliers News and Links for Thursday, Sept. 22
- Cavaliers sign Hinton to training camp deal