The Cavaliers square off with the Orlando Magic coming off a double-overtime thriller against the Pacers with the Celtics on deck Wednesday night.
Who: Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Orlando Magic
When: 7 p.m. ET
Where: Quicken Loans Arena - Cleveland, Ohio
TV: Fox Sports Ohio
Enemy Blog: Orlando Pinstriped Post
Keys to the game
- The Magic are depressing as hell. The roster doesn’t make much sense, and years of rebuilding has left them without a likely all-star on the roster.
- The team is “building” around Aaron Gordon, I guess, and he’s playing pretty well as of late, averaging 16.3 points per game on 49 percent shooting while snagging six boards per game. Those rebound numbers should ideally be better, but the scoring is certainly encouraging.
- Also on a bit of a box score tear is sudden triple-double threat Elfrid Payton. Payton’s putting up 14 points, 8.8 dimes and 7.7 boards during a Rondo-esque 10-game stretch.
- With the Magic’s two young projects playing well, that means they likely won’t be a pushover for a potentially tired Cavaliers team. If the Cavs plan on resting against the Celtics, they’re going to have to work for a win here.
- The Cavaliers remain a half-game back of the Celts in the East standings, so a win tonight and tomorrow would put them in a one-game lead in the conference. Two losses would effectively concede the East, so this one matters.
- This isn’t a sexy game, but it’s one the Cavaliers should win as long as they suit everyone up. We’ll keep you posted if they decide to rest people.
Fear the Sword’s Fearless Prediction
I imagine the Cavaliers will come out flat, but eventually they’ll assert dominance and distance themselves from a terrible Orlando squad. Cavaliers 121, Magic 102.