The Canton Charge, along with 16 other teams are headed to their own version of the bubble for the 2020-21 season in Orlando, the team announced Friday.
“Although we will certainly miss seeing the best fans in the NBA G League in person at the Canton Memorial Civic Center over the next few months, the Canton Charge organization is very excited to be playing in the 2020-21 NBA G League Season and look forward to delivering this season’s Charge games, exclusive content, fan favorite features and virtual engagement opportunities directly to our fans over the coming months!,” the Charge said in a press release. “More details on the Charge season schedule, dates and opponents will be announced soon.”
The team also said the goal is to return to normal, in-market play for the 2021-22 season.
The G League said teams without a G League affiliate participating in Orlando will have the opportunity to assign roster players and transfer Two-Way players using the league’s flexible assignment and Two-Way rules.
Players, coaches, team and league staff living on the NBA G League’s campus at Walt Disney World Resort will be guided by comprehensive league-wide health and safety protocols, which are based on the core principles of social distancing, mask-wearing, hand hygiene and COVID-19 testing.
The NBA G League heads to ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Disney just a few months after the NBA successfully restarted the 2019-20 NBA regular season at that venue last summer, which saw the Los Angeles Lakers winning the NBA title
“We worked closely with our teams, the Basketball Players Union, and public health experts to develop a structure that allows our teams to gather at a single site and safely play,” said NBA G League President Shareef Abdur-Rahim in a released statement. “We are thrilled to get back to basketball and to fulfill our mission as a critical resource for the NBA in developing players, coaches, referees, athletic trainers and front-office staff.”
The 17 participating teams are listed below:
- Agua Caliente Clippers (LA Clippers)
- Austin Spurs (San Antonio Spurs)
- Canton Charge (Cleveland Cavaliers)
- Delaware Blue Coats (Philadelphia 76ers)
- Erie BayHawks (New Orleans Pelicans)
- Fort Wayne Mad Ants (Indiana Pacers)
- Greensboro Swarm (Charlotte Hornets)
- Iowa Wolves (Minnesota Timberwolves)
- Lakeland Magic (Orlando Magic)
- Long Island Nets (Brooklyn Nets)
- Memphis Hustle (Memphis Grizzlies)
- Oklahoma City Blue (Oklahoma City Thunder)
- Raptors 905 (Toronto Raptors)
- Rio Grande Valley Vipers (Houston Rockets)
- Salt Lake City Stars (Utah Jazz)
- Santa Cruz Warriors (Golden State Warriors)
- Westchester Knicks (New York Knicks)